We have come a long way in understanding the bicycle sharing system and the most important one is that bicycle sharing in India can be successfully run only if they become the government's own project!
Yes, Bicycle Sharing in India cannot thrive on outdoor advertisement money like in the case of European markets, it can only work when the Government owns the project and contracts out to companies like ours to implement it. Here's what is happening in China with this regards: http://thecityfix.com/blog/china-transportation-briefing-booming-public-bikes/
Hence, Team Cycle Chalao! will now onwards focus on making this happen, we are working with the local and public authorities to
What are we doing right now?
1. We are searching for ''Indian Barclay's'' in the context of branding partner for bicycle sharing services. Please see here how Barclay's have encouraged bicycle sharing in London; or City Bank is doing it in NYC.
We have a tight deadline to find the next big green brand of India! and Its 10th of July, 2012!
2. We share our experience and working knowledge with the 'Ministry of Urban Development', Government of India in preparation of a Public Bicycle Sharing Scheme for India.
3. We have STOPPED our operations in Mumbai till the 'Brihan Mumbai Municipal Corporation' supports us the way 'Pune Municipal Corporation' is doing so. We appreciate each one of the hundreds of enthusiastic calls and email requests for availing a bicycle on rent from us by Mumbaikars, but are extremely sorry we are unable to service such requests currently and DO NOT KNOW ANYONE ELSE providing such services, if you happen to know, please tell us!
4. We are preparing research reports on the need and viability of better bicycle infrastructure for Mumbai and will soon be meeting our local public representatives to establish 'Bicycle Service Centres’ and make space for 'Exclusive Bicycle Parking' across the city.
5. We are seeking donations from individuals / institutions for bicycle specific research and advocacy programmes. Please tell us if you or anyone you know can contribute!
Check this article on 'The happenings with the Indian Bike Sharing System: http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/report_pmcs-public-bicycle-project-back-on-track_1627994
We've got 174 Votes in about 20 days from across the world for Spark Competitions!
Thank you to all those voted, spread the word and also tried to vote! We're thrilled to get responses from parliamentarians to school kids, its really wonderful and we're fortunate to be known to all of you.
The results will be out in two days and we'll announce them if we make it!
Your precious two minutes however are not just spent over the vote, they will remain as support to us for a long long time to come, thank you for voting!
Help Cycle Chalao!
Your 60 seconds will help us get seed funded. Click on this link to Vote: http://ow.ly/6Pai2
Copy and Paste this Tweet About Us:
Help Cycle Chalao! Get Funded, your vote can help us put 100s of bicycles on streets n save tonnes of pollution! Click http://ow.ly/6Pai2
Post this status update on your profile:
Are you frustrated of covering the short distances of your traveling by Taxi's, Autorickshaws and your motorvehicle (honk! honk!) wish we had bicycles everywhere and anywhere to cover the first and last kilometers of our journey?
Give a minute and Vote for Cycle Chalao! and spread this to five of your friends! Click http://www.sparktherise.com/projectdetail.php?pid=3936
Please Copy Paste this in your email and send out to your groups and newsletters:
This is to inform you that i have just voted for Cycle Chalao! at http://www.sparktherise.com/projectdetail.php?pid=3936 each vote like mine is going to get them closer in securing funding for putting more bicycles on our streets and build a greener tomorrow! It takes a minute to vote and faster if you have a facebook account. Help spread the message to five of your friends / networks and lets make this project a grand success! You can send your love to them as comments at the site! Vote now at http://www.sparktherise.com/projectdetail.php?pid=3936
Please contact us for helping you in a blog-post or to become a Cycle Chalao! Champion! We promise to treat you all as our funders!